Thursday 12 November 2009

Christmas cake


Every year Mr Lucey bakes our christmas cake and when we were in Shepherds purse in Whitby  on the counter was a plate of christmas cake to sample.



It tasted rather yummy so we bought the bake it yourself kit, along with a few extras and yesterday morning Mr L set to...




In no time at all all the ingredients were carefully mixed together in a big bowl with a little drop of sherry, christmas wouldn't be christmas without a drop or two of sherry!!!




The mixture was spooned into a tin and baked slowly in the oven for 5 hours while we took the dogs for a leisurely walk along the country lanes admiring the views as we meandered along.




When we got back the house was filled with the most delicious smell, and the cake was ready to come out of the oven. We were tempted to cut it but,  mouth watering we wrapped it in tin foil where nearer christmas we'll ice the top and put a snowman and a little robin on,  It's probrably cheaper to buy a cake but I think home made ones taste loads better, do you prefer to buy or bake???   Bye for now Lucey xx

9 comments:

Bertie Meadows said...

Hello Lucey, it's so much better to bake than buy, especially if you have a man do it for you. I'm very impressed with Mr L, I shall point out his culinary prowess to my better half, in vain, as he has never baked a cake in his life ;)
Bertie x

Connie said...

I can just smell the cake from here in Lincoln, its looks scrummy, cant eat home made

Sarah said...

I always used to bake a Christmas cake - mainly for the smeill when it cooked! but noone ate it so rather a waste. Never mind - yours looks scrummy.

Kelly said...

I realise I'm probably going to sound strange but i don't like Christmas cake! (or pudding or mince pies!)
I was thinkiing of baking some for presents this year though?
I'm sure the home made cakes must taste better!consoven

Unknown said...

It gives a special feeling baking the christmas cake! I love it so much. yours looks great. I am having my first giveaway over at my blog, so come and joint the fun! suzie. xx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

My mum made ours a few weeks ago! I don't actually eat christmas cake but LOVE the smell

Victoria xx

karen said...

Ummmm It look's rather nice and I bet it does taste better although I must admit that because I'm the only one in the house that would eat it I always just buy a very small one.
(((hugs)))
karen

Mrs C said...

It looks soooo good, I can almost taste it! If it were in my house it wouldnt last long enough to ice. Enjoy Mrs C X

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

This looks yummy, but what exactly goes in a Christmas cake? I've never heard of it before. I'm afraid it's not a tradition where I'm from. Thanks!